Pearl of Wisdom: Ditch the Hairdresser



"Well I can't wait for the kids to come,
I can't wait for the kids to come,
Say 'hey babe you gon' know no barbershop.'"
- Devendra Banhart, Long-Haired Child -


I have a couple of random ideals I'm very passionate about, and this is near the top of that list. It's below "Protect The Sharks!" and "Vague Feminism Theories!", but it is above "Cats Are Better Than Dogs!".

I haven't paid for a haircut in, let's see, almost two years. Yes, my hair has gotten longer and then shorter again, but I have no paid for any of that. And, to be completely honest and without bias, I have never liked my hair more than I have over the last year or so. Having control over a part of my body that was once a costly nuisance has been more freeing than I expected it to be.

Because who actually enjoys a haircut? They get it wrong so often, and it costs you $50 or so to feel upset. And then when they do get it amazingly right, it's only perfect for a month, and then it's slightly too long and not quite right. Plus they don't like to cut hair how it is and how it will be for the duration of the style. Hairdressers always got a little sassy at me when I told them there was no way I was going to blow dry my hair everyday so that my haircut would sit like they wanted it to. Cut it how it'll sit naturally, plz.

Sure, if you like the experience of a haircut and you have a lot of spare income to throw around, go for it. This is a tip for people, like me, who don't have space for haircuts in our budgets. I also think it's a great skill for everyone to have up their sleeve, just in case you someday need to take a pair of scissors to your hair. 

I even have a couple of close friends who come to me for a free trim. I'm terrified that some day that'll end up in this situation, but so far I've gotten good reviews! I should start charging them. 

My routine is to trim my hair about an inch or so shorter every 6 months. I let it grow out until it becomes unmanageable, then cut it short again. I have crazy hair, like, it's uncontrollable and messy constantly, so as much as I'd love long hair, it's not a good look for me. I end up looking less like Miranda Kerr and more like a frumpy Swedish lesbian. Life isn't fair. 

Today was the big day and I took a bunch of photos to illustrate the process. My phone ran out of batteries, so forgive the lack of snaps of the actually cutting and the lighting inconsistencies! I did have a criminal amount of fun taking what were essentially faux-artsy selfies, as you can see... 

BEFORE












DURING








AFTER













 I've still got a couple of things to fix up, but I'm happy with it. You can't tell from the photos, but shaking around my hair like that makes my hair really knotty when it's long, so I'm glad it's shorter now. I live in Wellington, which is super windy year-round, and having practical hair that looks good after it's been tossed around a bit is very useful.


Here are my top tips for cutting hair:

-Err on the side of caution! Always cut too little off. Every girl has had the experience of asking the hairdresser for just a trim and ending up with several inches gone, so keep that firmly in mind.

-Use Pinking Shears, or any sort of sturdy pattern scissors. This will make your cut less blunt looking. If you only have normal scissors, use them, but be prepared to do some hefty softening work afterwards!

-Put your hair into two pony tails, with very tight ties. Pull the ties down slowly, making sure both sides are even. Always cut just above the tie, so the hair comes off neatly.

-Watch out for the back section. It's really easy to cut so that the back is longer than the front, which isn't a good look. When you put your hair into a ponytail, the hair should sit in a nice bunch, not have obvious layers. Get someone else to clean up the back if you're having trouble.

-Spend a few days on it. The first two main cuts will probably not give a perfect result. Spend a bit of time doing major fix ups, slowly and carefully, but wait until you've washed it and it's settled a bit before continuing to cut.

-The blending techniques used by hairdressers are super easy, and you'll probably need to utilise them. I soften my front sections and so that they have a bit of layering. 

-Avoid doing too much. Many years ago, I did cut myself a full fringe, but I'd never do it again. I'm lucky that I like the look of a messy bob, because that's all I feel comfortable with! If you want a completely new look or you have something particular in mind that's pretty drastic, then go to a professional. Don't pull a Hannah Horvath and think you can reproduce Carrie Mulligan's pixie cut in a mirror!

Contributor: Kate, @Springerfield

0 comments :

Thank you for reading! What do you think?